One of the most popular routes for runners of Barcelona is the Carretera de les Aigües (road of waters). It is a flat track, unpaved, in the mountains, with great views, no traffic lights … you run for a long time without worrying about the road, just run. It is also full of runners so it is highly recommendable to go up occasionally. Actually we have designed a running tour for the discovering of Carretera de les Aigues: http://360runningbarcelona.com/map-of-running-tours-in-barcelona/barcelona-de-les-aigues-running-tou/
It is a flat track of about 9 kilometers long located at the foot of the Parc Natural de Collserola. Its privileged position allows to see the city of Barcelona bird’s eye view over almost the entire route. It is so successful that the weekend is a very busy circuit for runners but also for families, cyclists and walkers. The road goes from them Pla dels Maduixers Pla, in Barcelona, to the Plaça Mireia in Esplugues de Llobregat. There are other sections in the Horta and Penitents squares but not yet connected to this core.
We propose the following alternatives, but if you think of some more we are happy to share:
1) By car, taxi: certainly the easiest and more comfortable. You have several parkings to leave the car at different entrances:
– Perhaps the best known is in the Pla dels Maduixers at Manel Arnús street, at the end of Avinguda Tibidabo.
– Another option is to upload the Vallvidrera neighborhood (the area deserves separate visit) and leave the car around Catalans Railways Station Vallvidrera in Alberes Superior Street. From there just need to lose a few meters and you are steep. In this area there is no parking lot area.
– Another easily accessible parking is at the Plaça Mireia, in Esplugues de Llobregat. It is a picnic area and when you’re finished running, you can drink and eat something if you want.
Ver Carretera de les Aigües en un mapa más grande
2) By Metro: You can reach the Pla dels Maduixers with Ferrocarrils de la Generalitat de Catalunya. It works like the subway and at the same rates. From the city center you can take the Ferrocarrils de la Generalitat in Plaza Catalunya, either “Lines of Vallès” S1 or S2 and stop the Peu del Funicular station. There, change the line Vallvidrera towards Vallvidrera Superior and stops at Carretera de les Aigües station. The tour lasts no more than fifteen minutes, but be aware of the times and frequency over funicular, especially during the weekend.
3) By bus: You can take 196 bus to the Plaza del Doctor Andreu and from there take about five minutes to Pla dels Maduixers.
You can also go to Mireia Square with EP4 Esplubús from Esplugues de Llobregat.
4) … biking, walking or running: If you have the chance (and the time) is a good way to approach the Carretera de les Aigües. We support up, “lost” along the way and finding new places to go and avoid the traffic jam and pollution. So you can combine with any public transport and make the descent on foot .. The way there will rise but once on the road, you will have the reward of running in one of the best places in Barcelona!